Performing Arts Academy is a Non-Profit Theater Arts company based in South Denver/Highlands Ranch focused on creating community, building character, and inspiring excellence through performing arts education by bringing the transformative power of theatre to all people.
We strive to cultivate self confidence, enhance fundamental skills, and build the character of each participant no matter what their experience level. Under the tutelage of an experienced and professional faculty, PAA nurtures community values and appropriately tailors all educational experiences for each age group.
At PAA, we place a high value on the student experience and with that comes the responsibility to engage the student in dialogue around our core values: Curriculum, Character, and Community. In order to sustain a consistent method of instruction, our Teaching Artists create curriculums that follow or align with state standards for music and arts education. We also stress the importance of building an individual’s character through transformative experiences that can often lead to greater self esteem, leadership ability, service and acceptance of diversity. In addition, the value of being in community is simply allowing the student to recognize the connectedness we all share and how they function differently because of that awareness.
Create community, build character, and inspire excellence through performing arts education, and making the transformative power of the performing arts available to all people.
To transform our community and our world, through a generation of students who are confident in their self-worth, understand the importance of serving their community, and recognize the value in our individual differences.
What We Do
PAA provides performing arts education for students 3-years old through 12th grade in the south Denver metro area through high quality, character-building classes and musical theater shows.
Our History and our Future
The Performing Arts Academy (PAA) is located at 8817 South Broadway, in Highlands Ranch, Colorado. In 2006, Dr. James Ramsey created a theater arts program that would engage 26 children and their families, inspiring them to reveal brilliance and to grow within their community.
In the south metro Denver area, PAA is unique, attracting students of all backgrounds and employing quality, seasoned professionals with degrees in music theater, music performance and music education. The teaching staff consistently designs and implements curriculum that delivers a high quality experience in performing arts for children of all abilities. Our educational model focuses on teaching confidence, cooperation, collaboration, creativity, and community through performing arts experiences.
PAA has grown from 26 students in 2006 to over 900 students in 2019. Facility needs for staff and faculty have been accommodated by the continued generosity of St. Luke’s United Methodist Church, but our rapid growth will soon demand additional space. Staffing and program needs will expand proportionately, demanding skillful management to maintain steady and successful growth over time. Long term strategic planning options include but are not limited to:
- Building successful programs in music and theatre for children.
- Expanding into local schools to enhance music and theatre education.
- Developing community partnerships to support and sustain growth.
- Creating a safe space where students are inspired, nurtured and challenged to learn, perform and grow.
PAA continues its efforts to become a self-sustaining organization, with partnerships, fund-raising and grant writing supplementing the current model of “fee for services.”
Dr. James Ramsey
Financial and Operations Manager
Our Core Values
Through Integrity and Leadership
- Building confidence and nurturing self-esteem through transformative experiences for our students.
- Inspiring an understanding of diversity that includes people of different abilities, socioeconomic status, ethnicity, faiths and backgrounds.
- Cultivating leadership in our students by modeling and fostering a spirit of kindness, generosity, collaboration and teamwork.
Through a balanced approach
- Creating an exceptional performing arts experience by setting a bar of personal excellence for both our students and staff.
- Providing experienced and professional faculty who foster respect and acceptance while challenging individual growth.
- Utilizing Colorado state curriculum standards to guide education and performance for each age group.
- Cultivating a community within a community by embracing diversity through shared experiences in the arts.
- Giving back to the greater community through fundraising performances for scholarships and local causes.
- Partnering with local businesses and other organizations through sponsorships and collaborations to create a “small village” for the performing arts that serves the surrounding public as well as our students, staff and families.