Student Rules and Guidelines for Classes and Rehearsals
- Be prepared! This may include items such as dance shoes for dance classes, sneakers or jazz shoes to rehearse in, paper for notes, pencil, water bottle, and music and/or scripts. Practice outside of rehearsal is critical. Classes may also ask for homework and preparation. You may need to bring a snack or food for some longer rehearsals or classes. Your instructors will tell you specifics about what is needed to be successful!
- PAA is an inclusive community. Be a part of creating a safe and respectful space. This means all students, faculty and staff work together to create a supportive environment for every student to learn and grow. Be kind, courteous, and respectful to others, take care of yourself and take care of the room. Respect other people’s personal space and keep your hands to yourself unless instructed otherwise (example; dance contact improv).
- PAA does not allow mean, hostile or threatening words or actions.
- Please go to a faculty or PAA staff member if you have a problem or conflict that you need help solving. We are here to help you resolve differences and find solutions.
- Please ask an adult if you need to leave the room for any reason.
- Ask the PAA faculty or staff member at the front desk if you would like to phone or text home and/or contact an adult/guardian.
- Use the restroom before/after classes and rehearsals and during break times. Bathroom breaks when classes and rehearsals are underway will only be allowed in an emergency.
- Cell phones and other electronics must stay in backpacks at all times, as well as toys, stuffed animals, food, and items not requested by the instructors. Backpacks stay outside of classes and rehearsals in the location requested by PAA staff members. All notes must be taken with pencil and paper.
- Stay engaged and focused. Every moment in class and rehearsal is an opportunity to learn. Stay attentive, and seek to learn from others and support their process.
- Be brave! Take creative risks.
- Have fun!
Disciplinary Action Protocol for Student Behavior
In order to preserve a safe environment in all programs, PAA has adopted a three strike or three offense policy for student behavior.
Please note: violence and violent speech is not allowed and will result in immediate dismissal from the program. A student who engages in violent behavior or speech may not be invited back to participate.
First Offense – A verbal warning with a reminder that a behavior is inappropriate; an alternate strategy for future use is agreed upon. An incident report is written and documented and the Production and Site Manager calls the parent or guardian to inform them of the incident.
Second Offense – Verbal reprimand – a more serious verbal reminder with further consequences outlined in relation to mutually agreed-upon alternative strategies. Incident Report is filled out and a private meeting with a parent or guardian will take place to discuss behavior issues with the Artistic Director. Following the discussion with all parties involved the Artistic Director determines the appropriate course of action, up to being expelled from the program.
Third Offense – Dismissal from the program.